Welcome to Adelaide’s superb underpinning experts
get free quoteResidential and also commercial
Do I fall within the criteria or Need underpinning?
Whenever cracks emerge both on the internal and external walls of your building, it is an indication of existing stresses on the structure, which affect the firmness of the foundation of your building. This can be brought about as a result of movement in the soil, or erosion and earthquakes as experienced in some extreme cases. When your building shows presence of cracks it is incumbent upon the owner to come up with a way of supporting the foundation through underpinning. If the structure is left in such a deplorable condition for a longer period, then it is likely to bring about unpredictable consequences on the part of the tenants. Below are some of the things that you need to put into consideration in determining whether your building is in dire need of underpinning:
- Cracks evidently appearing in external brickwork and eventually shifting apart
- Manifested sagging of your building
- The internal walls show cracks and the doors are seen to be out of square within the frames
- Inconsistency in the flooring (hardly can a round object roll over from end to another
- The downpipes don’t line up towards the outlet and are bending
- The building appears to be lopsided when viewed from any angle or point
What is underpinning?
At SA underpinning we opt to use the original technique of underpinning, which involves the making of holes approximately 1.2 metres right below the ground level. We then proceed to fill up concrete to approximately 0.3 metres exactly below the existing footing using the most appropriate steel fortification within the excavated holes. Before coming up with the number of holes to be excavated we put into consideration the state of your structure, normally we examine it to see how badly it has cracked and also sagged as a result of weight. The concrete that has been filled into the sunk holes will be left to adequately cure within a period of five days. Upon completion of the curing period, we shall then come back to your site and appropriately position some heavy duty jacks right below the foundation to make them rest on the cured concrete. Tactically the jacks are heaved up to make a sustainable lift on your foundation so as to exhaustively close up all the voids and cracks.
The scope of our work is dependent on the magnitude of the sagging, in most projects it is actually possible to fully close any cracks that have the width of between 10-20mm.
Immediately the cracks in your building get sealed completely, then we go ahead and insert some heavy duty props to replace the jacks or alternatively we can leave the jacks in position and then prepare more concrete and steel to be poured in order to completely fill up all the excavated holes that were sunk round your building.
Underpinning is associated with numerous advantages for owners and tenants of the building as stipulated below:
- Underpinning of the walls ensures great stability of the structure and provides more strength thereby increasing its power to hold more weight.
- Underpinning gets to unravel many other hidden dynamics of your building giving way for any renovation and improvement that will follow.
- Generally, the landlord will gain in the long-run through increased safety and also unmatched comfort.
- The activity will definitely increase the book value of your structure while at the same time it comes with attendant economic values.
- When done in advance, the underpinning process can bring about huge savings by averting any sort of damage that would have happened to the building.
You must get started today
At SA underpinning everyone is proud of the work that we do and we actually provide yearly checkups on standards to give assurance of the best outcome of any newly strengthened building.
At SA underpinning we have a team of highly skilled staffs who put all their energies on the respective projects that they work on and do everything to the best of their ability to bring about very minimal kind of disruption to all the tenants in the building as well as the surrounding occupants. Our dedicated team executes their functions in a very independent manner even though each project varies in terms of design and technicality, however, no job is very hard or complex to handle. We are endowed with the technical ability to seal any internal crack on any structure by way of patching, replacing, repairing, and painting to make the structure to appear to be just as new as it was when it was first completed and this time round it will be sitting on a very strong foundation.
- Crack repairs.
- Floor releveling.
- Salt Damp repairs