Welcome to Adelaide’s number one underpinning experts
get free quoteResidential as well as commercial.
Do I deserve or require underpinning?
When you realize that cracks are showing on the internal and also external sides of the walls of your building, then you need to know that there are some existing stresses and also strains that are negatively affecting the foundation of the structure. Situations like this are manifested as a result of soil movement or erosion and in some other areas it can be occasioned by earthquakes. When such cracks are seen it is imperative for you to prop up the foundation of your building by having it underpinned. In case such a condition prevails for a lengthy period, it will bring about very heavy costs on the part of the occupants and landlord alike. You need to detect the following signs to know that your building deserves underpinning:
- Check to see if the internal brickwork is shows signs of cracking and drifting away from each other
- Keenly observe to detect if the building is Sagging
- look over to see if there are any kinds of internal wall cracks and check if the doors appear to be un-proportionately out of square within the framing
- Irregular flooring (a rounded object will not freely roll over from one side to another side
- All downpipes are no longer uniformly lined up towards the outlet and are visibly seen to be bending in some instances
- With a keen eye, you actually see that your building is lop-sided
What is Underpinning?
At SA underpinning we normally opt to use the conservative method of underpinning, which usually involves the digging of holes around the affected building. Holes are sunk to a depth of approximately 1.2 meters way below the current footing. After excavation, we then pour concrete up to about 0.3 meters exactly beneath the existing footing and put to use the most suitable steel strengthening within the already excavated holes. The total number of holes due for excavation is largely dependent on how bad your structure is cracked and bending or sagging as a result of weight. Upon curing of the concrete for five consecutive days, we avail ourselves back to your site in readiness for positioning of some heavy duty jacks to reinforce the foundation making them to firmly rest on the cured concrete. Jacks will be pumped to end up creating a lift on the foundation and eventually closing all voids and cracks. We fully factor into consideration the impact felt by the occupants as a result of the sagging experienced, in normal practice we usually seal all cracks that have a width that ranges between 10-20 mm.
The moment all the cracks become completely sealed, we have the option of putting in place some heavy duty props as a replacement for the jacks or we may actually leave the jacks is the same position and then pour concrete and use extra steel reinforcement into the holes that were excavated for the purpose of underpinning.
Underpinning is credited for having several advantages on the part of the occupants and also owners of the building as singled out below:
- Immediately after the walls are underpinned they end up stabilizing the entire building and providing additional force and increased balance.
- Underpinning is known for exposing any hidden dynamics within your structure and gives enough room for renovations and other improvements.
- The owner of the building will benefit immensely from savings accruing on energy in the long-run while also gaining from enhanced safety and comfort.
- Underpinning has the potential of improving on the value of your building while at the same time it comes with numerous economic benefits.
- When done punctually, underpinning will bring in some increased savings by putting averting any damages that would have happened to your building.
You have to get started today
At SA underpinning we are widely reputed for doing superb work and we are greatly famed for providing yearly follow-ups on the standards to evaluate and see to it that you actually get the best outcome out of your newly underpinned building.
At SA underpinning we are proud of having a highly trained team of skilled staff that works passionately on individual projects with all the zeal to ensure that there is very minimal interruption made to the occupants of the building that is being underpinned and also the adjoining occupants. Our professional team works synergistically even though projects vary in terms of design and implementation, there is no project is neither too complex nor hard to implement.
We possess the technical prowess to fix any sort of internal damage prevailing on all structures by way of repairing, patching, replacement and even painting to enable the building get back its lost structural strength and make it come out exactly like the way it was on the first day when it was handed to you after construction and before occupation, this time round we shall leave it fittingly held on the most firm foundation.
- Salt Damp repairs
- Crack repairs.
- Floor releveling.